24 February 2016
PINERGY puts you back in control of your spending. Here are some useful electricity saving tips to help you maximise your savings.
Building A Home
- If you’re planning to build or buy a new home, be sure to add energy-saving features that can save you money year after year. Don’t forget nature’s home and comfort plan. A few well-placed trees and shrubs will protect your home from winter’s icy winds and summer’s hot sun.
- Plant evergreen trees and shrubs to the north and northwest of your home.
- Plant deciduous trees (that have leaves) with high, spreading crowns to the south and west to let in the winter sun.
- Install a vapour barrier facing the inside of your home to prevent damp air from getting into the insulation. It saves energy and protects the wood in your walls and attic against mildew.
- Make sure the heating equipment is the right size for the area you want to heat. Oversized equipment is less efficient and more costly.
- Install the water heater close to the point of use. Water stays hotter when it’s piped a short distance. In large homes, two water heaters may be more efficient than one.
- The larger the window area, the greater the heat loss. All window and glass areas should have double or triple glazing.
- Insist on high energy-efficient appliances.