We’ve put together these simple energy saving tips to help you optimise the energy you use at home and help the planet a little bit more.
Watch this video for some ideas or check out the list below.
- If you’re boiling the kettle, make sure to put in only the amount of water that you need.
- Take showers rather than baths. Don’t spend hours in the shower.
- Keep curtains and blinds open during the day to let the warmth of the sunshine into your home. Close them at night to keep the heat in and the cold out.
- Dust and vacuum your radiators. Layers of dust stop heat from flowing freely.
- Dust your light bulbs. The dust reduces their intensity, which could encourage you to buy higher-wattage bulbs than you actually need, or, if you’ve got dimmer switches, to keep the lights brighter than necessary.
- If you have a tumble dryer, clean the lint screen after each load. As with filters, a clogged line screen means your dryer will be less efficient and take longer to dry your washing.
- If you’re cooking in the oven, don’t keep opening the oven door to check things, as you’ll let heat escape each time.
- Don’t leave your devices on stand-by. Turn it off at the switch.
- Keep your fridge and freezer full – a full fridge requires less energy to keep cold as the items inside maintain the temperature.
- Defrost frozen food in the fridge. Not only is it more hygienic to do so, but the frozen food will keep the temperature of the fridge cool.
- Open your windows instead of using the extractor fan.
- Don’t leave the fridge door open whilst you are unloading your shopping.
- Only run the dishwasher when it is full. Half a load requires the same amount of energy and hot water.
- Turn off lights if you are leaving a room, unless you are coming back.
- Turn your computers off rather than leaving them on screen saver mode.
- Take you chargers out of the wall sockets as the use energy regardless of if they are being utilized.
- If you are cooking something from frozen, try plan in advance so as to avoid wasting energy on defrosting it in the oven.
- When your device is fully charged, plug it out.